Before Submitting an Application
Please Read this Important Information
Adoption fees vary. The adoption fee for certain animals is dependent on many factors including age, size, behavior, medical condition, demand, vetting and rescue expenses and how long we have had the dog. Adoption fees range from $0 to $395 for dogs and puppies. Adoption fees are listed on the description of each adoptable dog.
- You will first be required to complete our online adoption application. You can fill out an application by going to our Adoptable Dogs page, clicking on the dog and you will see a link that says ADOPT. Once received you will receive an email from S.A.D. with a link to log into our management system. There you can track the progress of your application.
- All initial contact will be through email, please do not call our office for the status of your application.
- We require that all pets in the home be spayed/neutered unless there are health reasons that can be verified with the vet.
- With all applications we may contact your references and/or your veterinarian, request photos, and do a home visit.
- For adult dogs we will arrange a meeting with the foster parent for you to meet and play with your pet of choosing. We have foster homes throughout the state of Indiana
- We prefer to adopt locally. We will consider out of state applications from neighboring states.
- We will require puppy classes/ and or obedience classes for some dogs. Especially homes with children.
- We always approve an application that has the BEST fit..not the first application we receive.
- We require a secure fenced in yard at least 4′ tall. If you don’t have a physical fence we may make an exception of an invisible fence, depending upon the dog and physical location of your home…such as if you live in a subdivision , town or in the country.
- If the dog has shown signs that it can not be trusted to free roam in your house, then we will be looking for an adopter where someone is usually home, such as a retired couple, people that work different shifts or stay at home moms.
- We do not allow any dogs to be crated 8 hrs a day while people are at work.
- We don’t usually adopt to renters..it depends on the dog etc. and we will make a determination on a case by case basis. We have this policy because owner surrenders are the highest with renters. Renters are at the mercy of their landlords. If the dog barks or disturbs other residents the landlord may demand the dog leaves. When tenants move not all landlords accept pets, and many dogs are surrendered to shelters because the owner could not take the dog
- We do not adopt to families with children under the age of 5 unless the dog has been around children.
- If you have other dogs/pets we will require a meet & greet .
- We offer Trial Adoptions for Adult dogs upon request so everyone can make sure it is a good fit.